Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Recipe Share: Mama D's Pasta Sauce

My dear friend Kiersten asked me to post this recipe a few weeks ago and I'm just now getting around to it.  Can we say "bad friend"?

I am clearly no food photographer.


I'm calling this recipe "Mama D's Pasta Sauce".  There's probably not a whole lot of difference between this and any other sauce recipe, but maybe you'll like it.  It's really more of a ragu than a pasta sauce, I think.  I never measure, so most ingredients are to taste.

Ingredients:
28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 onion diced (you can use a whole one if you want)
8 oz sliced mushrooms, diced (or you can use whole mushrooms and cut them up)
1 lb ground beef
minced garlic (to taste, I use like, a tablespoon or so)
salt
pepper
Italian seasoning (however much you like... probably like a couple of teaspoons)
and...

a tiny bottle of wine - a whole one (or you could do less if you want)

1. Brown the meat, mushrooms and onions together; add the garlic.  Season with salt and pepper.
2. Pour in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste.
3. Add Italian seasoning and wine.  Let it simmer a bit.  You could probably put it in a slow cooker for a slow low simmer so you can pretend like you actually slaved over a hot stove literally all day.
4.  Toss with the pasta of your choice.

It freezes up and reheats nicely.

Everyone's got their own family recipe or neat thing they do that's different.  I'd love to hear your recipes or any suggestions to this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment and your time.