Tuesday, October 16, 2012

(In My Opinion) The Best Way To Boil Eggs

In my house, we go through boiled eggs like nobody's business.  They are the quickest way to get protein in my body in the mornings.  I have finally perfected my method for boiling eggs so that they peel easily.

About the eggs
I have had the best results from eggs that are not brown or organic or special in any way.  I use plain ol' white eggs that I get from the Walmart.  Week old eggs supposedly peel the best, but I've not noticed any difference in peeling regarding age.

Grab your pot and your eggs.  I boil 10-12 at a time, depending how many are in left in the carton.

After adding your eggs and water to the pot (I do enough water to cover the eggs by 1-2 inches).  Then sprinkle some sea salt and baking soda and a splash of white vinegar into the water with the eggs.  

Put on your pot lid and turn the heat on high.

You know you're ready to move on to the next step when you hear the eggs rattling the pot.  

Turn off the heat.  Leave the lid on and set your timer for 13 minutes.

When the timer beeps, put your pot under some cold water.  I also use ice to speed up the cooling process.

Once the eggs are cool to the touch, dry one off and lightly crack it all over.

Sometimes I'm lucky enough to get a really long strip.

Sometimes, despite my efforts, I end up with an imperfect peel.

When you've peeled all of your eggs, grab a plastic food storage container, line it with a couple of layers of paper towel and gently stack your eggs.  You can store your eggs before peeling them, but I find them more difficult to do so after they've been sitting in the refrigerator.  

In the mornings I just grab two of these peel away the egg whites (I don't care for the yellows) and inhale them with my mug of Earl Grey.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment and your time.