Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What I Wore: Workhorses and Show Ponies

What I Wore: Workhorses and Show Ponies


When J. Crew debuted the Blythe silk blouse, I was immediately drawn to it.  But, at $98, I figured that  I could stretch my budget farther with more chiffon-y blouses made from polyester.  Synthetic fibers make me miserable and I was regretting that choice.  I still couldn't justify paying full price for Miss Blythe.  And the few times it did go on sale, J. Crew was out of the color and size that I wanted.  Recently I took the plunge and purchased this one on sale in bright sun.  When I got it, I initially thought I wouldn't get very much wear out of it.  On the contrary, I've come up with several outfits for it and I'm glad I was able to get it.

Workhorses and Show Ponies

This title came from an episode of the MTV show The City where Olivia is asked to get an interview with Zac Posen regarding the launch of his Target line.  Olivia has promised Joe Zee to use her contacts to get Vogue some exclusive interviews, but so far has failed to deliver.  Joe Zee then reminds her that there is a candidate for her replacement.

Which is better?  Is it better to be a workhorse or a show pony?  Is it possible to walk the line between them?  In an ideal world the line between them would be a thick line that divides the two and I could sit down on that line and hang one leg over one side and the other leg from the other side.  

Since I'm an intense person of extremes, I lean more toward the work horse.  Being considered a work horse has its obvious advantages: your boss will likely see you as a solid employee that can take on challenges with flexibility and it can expose you to new encounters others might decline.  Work horses show no fear in rolling up their sleeves to get dirty and get it done.  However, work horses can be taken advantage of or can be seen as an upstart or "suck up".

I have never considered myself a show pony, therefore I don't really have any insights.  I've worked for a show pony before and found the person to be aloof and "above" doing certain tasks that s/he may think s/he is too high in title to do.  I've never seen the show pony point of view, and I'm willing to bet that they're not all totally vapid.

What do you think?  Are you a workhorse or a show pony?  Why do you think so?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment and your time.